Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!

My friend, Sydney, used to talk about how much she loved our Christmas tree.... the colorful lights and assorted decorations on an indoor, 6 foot tall bush simply fascinated this Jewish girl. She talked about wanting one, but she said it wouldn't be as good as ours. Having seen thousands of Christmas trees in my life, I wasn't entirely positive how to judge a Christmas tree... but somehow, Sydney knew ours was perfect... well, ALMOST perfect. Finally, a few years ago, she decided it was time to perfect our tree. When she came jumping in my front door one day, box in hand, I knew she was up to something. "I made this for you!" she exclaimed, glowingly, to my family. We opened the box, only to find the same Sydney face staring at us in paper form, Santa hat on, saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" and dangling from a string. It was a Christmas ornament, made by our favorite little Jewish girl for our tree. My mom burst out laughing and said "Oh, Syd, you GOTTA hang this up!" And she did- front and center, robbing the giant, colorful tree of any attention it may have gotten that Christmas season. The Sydney scale of judging trees had now declared the Petry Christmas tree perfection. It became a tradition for our Sydney to come over and hang it up in the perfect spot for the world to see. Every year, as our family and friends came over, they'd walk into the living room and marvel at the beauty/hilarity that was Sydney's tree decoration. It grew a fan base over the years... and so did Sydney. In true Sydney form, she found a way to bring happiness and smiles to (in some cases) people she did not even know on a holiday she didn't celebrate...

We hung up her ornament for her this year. It's always been the best one up there.




I love you, Cobrah.... thanks for making my life that much better.
Merry Christmas, my favorite Jew!!!!! <3333

Sydney Lynn Gross
5/2/90 - 7/24/09